Law Offices of Charles A. Maglieri
Free Consultations

What can I do to avoid foreclosure?

The prospect of foreclosure is daunting for Connecticut homeowners. However, if you’re unable to make mortgage payments that will be exactly what you’re faced with. Some homeowners are able to pursue alternatives, which can prevent a lengthy and often costly foreclosure process. explains 3 different ways to avoid foreclosure that might be available to you.

Deed in lieu of a foreclosure

While you want to retain ownership of your home, in some cases that may not be possible. If your foreclosure is assured you can speak with the lender about deed in lieu of foreclosure, which allows you to return the title to the lender without the obligation to pay back your loan (although you may need to pay a portion of it). People can pursue a deed in lieu of foreclosure if they’re no longer able to afford their mortgage due to financial hardship and have been unsuccessful at selling their home for at least 90 days.

Sale or rental

Homeowners in a better financial state can try to sell or rent their homes using conventional methods. This is usually the best option for you if you haven’t yet been late on mortgage payments but no you'll be unable to pay them in the future. Even if you have to decrease your asking price it’s better than losing your home in a foreclosure due to the impact on your credit rating.

 Short sale

You may be unable to sell your home for the amount you owe your lender. In cases of significant financial hardship, you can request a short sale, where the lender agrees to accept less than what’s owed and forgive the remaining debt. This requires providing evidence that you’re no longer able to pay the mortgage due to a change in financial status, such as a loss of income.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Discuss Your Case With A
Respected Bankruptcy Attorney

Contact my office to discuss your debt relief needs directly with me as your lawyer. I offer a free initial consultation to all new clients where you can learn more about your legal options and what I can do to help you. I am available during regular business hours and by appointment at other times. You can reach me by phone at 860-242-0574 and 860-952-3674 or via email.

My law firm is a debt relief agency as so designated by Congress in the year 2005. I help people file for bankruptcy relief under Title 11 of the United States Code, known as the Bankruptcy Code.

Schedule A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Bloomfield Office
34 Jerome Avenue
Suite 316
Bloomfield, CT 06002

Phone: 860-952-3674
Phone: 860-242-0574
Fax: 860-243-0106
Map & Directions

Marlborough Office
9 Austin Road
Suite 201
Marlborough, Connecticut 06447

Phone: 860-952-3674
Fax: 860-243-0106
Map & Directions