Law Offices of Charles A. Maglieri
Free Consultations

Will I also inherit my parents’ debt?

In the years before your parents’ death, they may have accrued significant credit card and medical debt. Like other Connecticut residents in the same situation, you may wonder if you are required to continue making payments on the debt your parents left behind.

This can be especially true if you are receiving phone calls and letters from bill collectors asking for payment. They may even state that you are responsible for repaying your parents debt, which is understandably concerning. As NerdWallet explains, heirs do not legally inherit their parents’ debts, but creditors are not without recourse. Before you and the other beneficiaries receive an inheritance, your parents’ assets will be used to repay any outstanding debt. The family home, vehicles and other property may be liquidated for this purpose and distributed to creditors.

Will you be required to continue paying your parents’ mortgage or credit card bills? If you inherited their home, you may choose to take over the mortgage payments or sell the home. If you or your parents co-signed on a loan together, you would be responsible for making the payments. Any remaining debt that solely belonged to your parents, however, is not your responsibility. Additionally, creditors cannot make a claim on a life insurance policy your parents left for your benefit.

The steps to take after your parents pass away can be confusing and may necessitate experienced counsel. Therefore, the information in this blog is meant to inform you, but should not replace the advice of a lawyer.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Discuss Your Case With A
Respected Bankruptcy Attorney

Contact my office to discuss your debt relief needs directly with me as your lawyer. I offer a free initial consultation to all new clients where you can learn more about your legal options and what I can do to help you. I am available during regular business hours and by appointment at other times. You can reach me by phone at 860-242-0574 and 860-952-3674 or via email.

My law firm is a debt relief agency as so designated by Congress in the year 2005. I help people file for bankruptcy relief under Title 11 of the United States Code, known as the Bankruptcy Code.

Schedule A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Bloomfield Office
34 Jerome Avenue
Suite 316
Bloomfield, CT 06002

Phone: 860-952-3674
Phone: 860-242-0574
Fax: 860-243-0106
Map & Directions

Marlborough Office
9 Austin Road
Suite 201
Marlborough, Connecticut 06447

Phone: 860-952-3674
Fax: 860-243-0106
Map & Directions