Law Offices of Charles A. Maglieri
Free Consultations

What do you do if you cannot make mortgage payments?

There are many advantages to purchasing and owning a home in Connecticut, from both a financial and personal point of view. However, owning a home can become burdensome if you have a change in financial circumstances and can no longer afford mortgage payments. 

According to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, you have several possible options to avoid foreclosure if this happens. A deed-in-lieu allows you to avoid foreclosure by giving the home back to the lender. A short sale is also an opportunity to dispose of your property and mitigate your loss. 

However, there may also be options that allow you to cope with the situation while retaining your home. If it is early in the process and your credit has yet to take a significant hit, you may be able to refinance your loan. Additional options include the following: 

  • Forbearance
  • Loan modification
  • Repayment plan

To find out more about the options that may be available to you, you should talk to your mortgage servicer. The sooner you do so once you start having problems, the better. Foreclosing on your property is not beneficial to the mortgage company, so it will likely be eager to assist you if you take the first step to resolve the matter. You can find the phone number on your mortgage coupon book or loan statement. Another way to explore your options is to seek out a housing counselor approved by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. You should take both of these steps as soon as you can. 

The information in this article is not intended as legal advice but provided for educational purposes only.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Discuss Your Case With A
Respected Bankruptcy Attorney

Contact my office to discuss your debt relief needs directly with me as your lawyer. I offer a free initial consultation to all new clients where you can learn more about your legal options and what I can do to help you. I am available during regular business hours and by appointment at other times. You can reach me by phone at 860-242-0574 and 860-952-3674 or via email.

My law firm is a debt relief agency as so designated by Congress in the year 2005. I help people file for bankruptcy relief under Title 11 of the United States Code, known as the Bankruptcy Code.

Schedule A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Bloomfield Office
34 Jerome Avenue
Suite 203
Bloomfield, CT 06002

Phone: 860-541-5407
Phone: 860-242-0574
Fax: 860-243-0106
Map & Directions

Marlborough Office
9 Austin Road
Suite 201
Marlborough, Connecticut 06447

Phone: 860-541-5407
Fax: 860-243-0106
Map & Directions