An Established Practice Exclusively Focused On

Bankruptcy Law

Stopping Wage Garnishment

Experienced Connecticut Debt Relief Lawyer

Legal Options When Wage Garnishment is at Issue

When you work hard, it is very frustrating to have your wages garnished – paid not to you, but to a creditor. But many different types of debt can potentially lead to this, including credit cards, medical bills, back taxes, a home mortgage and car loans.

If you are facing wage garnishment or other collections, discuss your situation with an experienced bankruptcy lawyer. Attorney Charles A. Maglieri at Advanced Bankruptcy Legal Services has been helping Connecticut clients with debt relief for many years. Call 860-541-5407 (Bloomfield Office) or 860-952-3674 (Marlborough Office) or send an e-mail to set up a free initial consultation.

Will Bankruptcy Stop Wage Garnishment?

As a general rule, once you file for bankruptcy, creditors are no longer allowed to garnish your wages to collect debts you owed before you filed.

There may be an exception to this for court-ordered child or family support. But filing for bankruptcy, perhaps under Chapter 13 , may be a preferable course of action to ongoing wage garnishment. Discuss your case with experienced debt relief attorney Charles A. Maglieri and find out what your options are.

Wage Garnishment and Your Job

If your creditor has followed proper legal procedure, your employer will be ordered to withhold 25 percent of your after-tax pay. This may cause financial hardship for you, to have your income reduced by so much. It can also create potential problems for you at work, because the paperwork required for the garnishment can create an administrative burden for your employer. It makes sense to have an experienced lawyer on your side to help you get through this.

Attorney Charles A. Maglieri of Advanced Bankruptcy Legal Services has nearly 31 years of experience helping clients obtain debt relief. With offices in Bloomfield and Marlborough, the firm serves clients throughout Connecticut. Call or e-mail to schedule a free consultation.